Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thirteen Years and Counting-----------(Part-2)

The story was still in Lucknow. As I said the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism at Lucknow University had nothing to offer much but people in and around were interesting in many sense.They must get a place in this story........

Dr R C Tripathi, HOD as he liked to be refered is a man who cultivated his father's legacy to hold the post.He was typical hindi man surrounded with only 'like-minded -people'. He was the sole man to run the department and his strenth was the veteran man who nourished all of us--Mr Karuna Shanker Saxena. We all were dependent on our guest faculty.

Mr Girish Mishra, a journalist with a no. 1 hindi daily,and who perhaps had never compromised with his principles, put an insightful view of 'Reporting'. Then there was Akhilesh Mishra, another veteran in 'Gerua' Kurta-Dhoti taught us 'Press Law'.Most of the laws of press,supreme court rulings,constitution of India and political system was on his finger tips.

But as I said, I rather used my time after the classes to search out for a freelance job,which I got in due course. The department had some amazing students like one was and old aged muslim friend of us(name forgotten) from Aligarh.I have never seen such an enthusiastic and eager to learn fellow with a mastery over religion 'Islam'.

Pradeep Nair who later on sticked with department was another book warm,who was seldom humiliated by another friend of mine, Ashvini Bishnoi. Ashivini to whom I refered as ' Ashvini Albela,Lakhon Mein Akela' was an staunch hindi supporter and had got a dominating attitude.He was smart and popular and despite his keen interest in girls , had a cutting edge with his presence of mind.

Mukul Srivastava,who later became Ph.D holder under Dr Tripathi,and is now the only permanent faculty in department had a witty and tart tounge,always pinning me down with his jokes,crafted only for me.

Bhavna and Sarika were lady attraction in our batch.

Yogesh Dixit was our senior , who is now serving with Hindustan Times group at senior level.

Anwar was the only office assistant-cum-photographer in department.

And with this 'powerful' team department was running with all its 'might' .And amidst all this,there was me who was desparatly looking to make it in media, in the politically warm city. And my efforts resulted in to getting published in several newspaper's feature page and couple of job offers on part time.

And there was our late sittings in Lekhraj towers to have' parathas' and our point of focus on girls at Ashvini's house.Our search for news and current affairs magzines,Manorma year book and litreture books.Ashvini's preference was Civil Services and now I hope he would have made it.

' Ganzing' ( roaming in Hazrat Ganj--Lucknow's Heart) was also a daily routine.

And there was my attempt to overshadow all of it for which I had 'Obsessive-Nurosis-Disorder'.

But I was more hungry,and was dreaming for Delhi.

So as said,I got the way by assuring a place in Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism Program of Delhi University(However I never finished it and returned in University of Lucknow program).

I remeber,Ashvini came to my rented room,well three hours in advance, and even came to 'Charbagh Railway Station' to board me in Lucknow mail . And as Lucknow Mail took its speed,and made me faster towards Media City - Delhi , Lucknow-the city,by that time, had left a life time,never to be forgottent print on me-------------------------------------------The year was 1997 and month was September.

No comments:

Post a Comment